08 April 2010

Mission #51: Get NRP Certified


Completed on April 7, 2010.



Huzzuh!

NRP stands for Neonatal Resuscitation Programme. I'm putting that out there because I've already had a number of people ask me what it stands for. I am now legally certified to save babies.

Now isn't that a scary thought?

The first time I took the course I had no clue as to what I was doing and I had 2 nurses teaching the course. They knew what they were doing, and they were knowledgeable, and they encouraged me to take part in the class anyway. It was good, but when they encouraged me to take the two parts of the test, I was a bit put off. They would have set up the test in a way that I would have passed, which doesn't make sense. If I had found myself in a situation the really required me to resuscitate a baby, I would have been screwed.

This last time, while I only got in a little more studying, I had an anesthetist who regularly was present with deliveries. It made it more realistic to have her teach us and set up the scenarios, and be the one intubating the babies, instead of nurses pretending to, because well, intubation isn't part of an RN's scope of practice. Though, sometimes, it would be cool if it was.

It was a nerve wracking exam because I knew the Doctor wouldn't just hint and help me pass. But I did, and now it's onto my next course.

No comments:

Post a Comment