19 June 2010

Book Review: The Memory Keeper's Daughter

Source
Finished book 7 of 25. Its called "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards.

The story begins in the 1960's where it is still socially acceptable to institutionalize children with birth defects and mental retardation.

The first fifty pages are good and they drew me in, but the following 200 pages were such a drag. The story just seemed to observe this dysfunctional family and be overly dramatic.

The last 150 pages the book picks up the pace dramatically. And while the ending was good, and it did make me cry, I didn't quite grasp the point of the book: Secrets, assumptions, and expectations (and those unfulfilled) fueled the plot, but I missed the purpose behind the book, of telling such an emotional story.

To challenge our definition of family? To show the importance of communicating? To let our children grow up uninhibited of societal expectations?

Someone let me know, because I feel like I've just dragged myself through an emotional roller coaster for the last 2 weeks and I've been left empty handed of a moral.


- Posted using BlogPress, the iPhone App


No comments:

Post a Comment