15 November 2010

Catching Up

The last few days have been productive with my word counts. Not only have I been making the 1667 words per day, but been hitting 2k a day. Fingers crossed I can keep that pace up and sneak in a 5k day here and there before the end of the month.

I'm finally on a roll with my story as well. The last couple days it has felt good to fly by the seat of my pants for this novel and when I'm finished I can just leave it be for a while. I think because I haven't done any planning for the book I haven't been as heavily involved as I have been with my other novels. Kind of like, "seeing" someone as opposed to "dating" someone: it feels good right now and we'll see where it goes.

I'm at work so I'm a little limited as to what I can do in terms of writing until my break. And instead of working or writing I've been browsing the NaNo forums and have stumbled across a clever little idea what I kind of wished that I had stumbled upon sooner 10 Chores in 10 Days.

It's the kind of prep that I could have done as either a planner or a panster. And would have brought a few things into focus for my novel, which is what I had lacked at the beginning of my story and have now found. I suppose that is the stress of being a pantser. And what I take from my pantser approach this year is that I need to find a balance between the planning and the pantsing: Flexibility is good, but some focus in necessary.

Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to fly through the word count for a few more days before I lose this steam and have to fire up the coals a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment