08 March 2012

21 DAY CHALLENGE - Day 2, December 15



I suppose people may have their doubts about this challenge, but I invite all to try this challenge, even if you think your living space is clean. And while you’re at it, throw on a pedometer.

Putting everything you own where it belongs, downsizing, moving, painting, vacuuming, doing all your laundry, mopping, etc. While none of these activities are considered “exercise”, all of them consume more energy than sitting. Naturally, frequent tidying means frequent energy usage, so it’s possible to make a goal to clean 30 minutes daily for this year you’ll be doing yourself a two fold service: energy usage and a tidier living space.

As I said yesterday, I was on holiday when I started the Challenge and I was living in a hotel, or out of a suitcase for 6 days. I had one room to look after, and the cleaning and bed madeup already looked after (the most energy consuming tasks of cleaning up). But because it was only one room it can get cluttered pretty quickly, especially with two people occupying the same space.

In many previous hotel stays I had left everything in my suitcase and just pulled out what I needed. Of course, not much ever stayed there: half of it always ended up spread around the room. Many hotels have closets, or at least a bar with hangers, something which I use in my own house too, but for whatever reason have never used hotel closets. I have to say how remarkable it is you feel when everything you have is put away properly.

As my husband and I were on vacation we naturally bought souvenirs and worked through our clean clothes that needed placing and rearranging. It’s a practice I intended to carry over when I got home and I think I’ve done pretty well since. I’m also in the process of downsizing and packing up which is keeping me pretty busy.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely don't doubt that this challenge can lead to a more active life. It's one of the reasons my place stays cleaner and more organized now. Puttering keeps me moving...and putting things where they belong. Straightening up things.

    Heck, I think I'm going to dust and sweep when I get home tonight from work.

    ReplyDelete