06 March 2012

The second challenge is underway!



There were a whole lot of options available for this challenge, allowing participants to make it as easy or as hard as they chose. I've decided to go for the easiest as possible so as to give myself the most amount of time to read everybody else's entries.

I used prompt #1 and wrote a quick flash fiction for it. The other portion of the challenge I will pursue is asking for critiques from my followers and other campaigners. I will then edit the flash fic and then post the edited version a week after the challenge closes.

Fair?

At 203 words...

- - -

Molly and Cyrus leaned against the cement remains of bridge, breathing heavily. Molly winced as pain shot up her leg when she tried to curled her legs closer to her body. She placed her hand over her leg where the pain was originating from and felt a warm wetness. She brought her hand to her face to inspect what she felt and swallowed hard at the sight of blood.

“Dammit, my hair’s all wet.” Cyrus said as he tousled his hair with both hands.

Molly stared at him, “You’re worried about your hair?”

“What?” Cyrus asked, turning to face her.

She held up her hand for Cyrus to see. His reaction was to squint at her in the fading sunlight and then raise an eyebrow before he asked, “What’s on your hand?”

“Blood.”

“Where’d it come from?”

“Not from you, obviously.”

“Did it come from... her?” Cyrus asked looking paler than a moment previous.

“No.”

“I think I’m going to puke.”

Molly’s sigh finished seconds before a high pitched howl erupted from the quiet dusk. She and Cyrus froze, the hair on the back of her neck standing on end instantly.

“I don’t think you have time to be sick.” Molly whispered hoarsely.

- - -

To vote for me, I'm #46!

26 comments:

  1. Ohh...intriguing. Well done! (#30)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzers, well done! Off to like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahaha!! What was howling?! I'd be freaked out too. I hate when I'm INSIDE and wolves howl outside my window! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very intriguing for sure. I enjoyed this very much as is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the byplay between the characters. Cyrus is a more interesting character because of his selfishness. Well done.

    Critique follows:
    "the cement remains of bridge" should be "the bridge" or "a bridge."
    "she tried to curled her legs" should be "curl her legs."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing those out, I appreciate it.

      Delete
  6. I really liked the dialogue, interesting banter between them. Makes me want to know more about their relationship, and why Cyrus is such a wimp. :) Well written.

    Kevin, (#19)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I may have opportunities to let you know more in the future!

      Delete
  7. Nice character chemistry! Great entry.
    Melissa Maygrove #14

    ReplyDelete
  8. How intriguing! I want to know what happened? Who is the 'her' they were talking about? Why did seem they were hiding in the darkness and I would really like to know what was going to happen next? Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Perhaps you'll find out yet!

      Delete
  9. Wow. Scary! Nice job! (#77)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny line at the end! This was way fun--great banter :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Morgan, great banter and the last line was golden! Great job on this entry and I really hope we get the chance to read more! (;

    ReplyDelete
  12. creepy & scary! what could it be?!
    nice job with the dialog too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow--loved the ending. I wonder who "she" is!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the last line. Great suspense and very intriguing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE the dialogue here! It added a hint of humour to a scary scene.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very intriguing. Would love to know what happens next, too. Maybe Cyrus will step up and act like a man! The last line is great.

    ReplyDelete