03 April 2012


C IS FOR CAMPING

my parents grew up as city kids. Their holidays didn't involve tents or campers. It's no surprise that my experiences with camping involves camping trailers that included a kitchen, fridge, flushing toilet, and shower.

To this day I have never slept in a tent or on the ground.

A few years ago I had an interest to have that particular experience. But now, as a young professional, that interest has waned greatly and I've come to the conclusion many others have: society has not come this far to be sleeping in less than optimal conditions for their holidays.

Does my lack of camping experience make me a less experiences traveller? Possibly. Personally, I think that my only deficit in not knowing how to camp is that I am not adequately prepared to survive a zombie invasion.

Yep, this is as close as I get to sleeping on the ground

10 comments:

  1. I wouldn't worry about it...zombies can bust right through a tent wall but you can always drive away from them in something like that RV in your picture. You are apocalypse ready, I think.

    Here via A to Z.

    A-Z @ Elizabeth Twist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got a point, but I was thinking more along the lines of camping survival skills: hunting, gathering, building fires and emergency shelters.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Fellow Challenger. I'm #424 from Rockin' Chair Reflections. I see absolutely nothing wrong with your style. I've done it, many times, on a Wal-Mart parking lot heading cross-country. Roughing it, to me, has always been only one TV in the cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents drug me camping many times. To this day, I think of camping as a three star (or less) motel!
    Don't forget to remove word verification during the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings! I didn't camp much growing up but my wife's family did. So we have been quite often over the years. My only requirement is the inclusion of a shower, either in an RV or nearby! We do enjoy it but haven't camped in a while since we had kids! Great post! Good luck this April, I look forward to seeing what it brings!

    Dusty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you get a chance to go camping again soon. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Hahaha well... in the event of a zombie invasion, this fact might bite you in the backside right before the zombie does. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up camping because we couldn't afford to go on a vacation any other way when I was a kid. Every summer, no exception, we went camping somewhere - even if it was within a day or two drive from home.

    I still enjoy it because camping allows me the freedom to go places that a vehicle can't go. I can pack everything I need into a backpack and head out somewhere remote.

    What can I say? I'm a sucker for punishment.

    ReplyDelete