01 April 2012



During the month of February I read a number of blogs that had previously participated in the A to Z challenge that advised “Pick a theme”. It took me a good couple weeks to come up with a theme that I felt I could legitimately blog about which ended up being travelling. Travelling is something I’ve done a lot of, though by no means am I hardcore because I typically don’t give up the comforts of home. By comforts I mean a decent bed, a flushing toilet, internet access, and a functional shower.


A is for adventure & alcohol.

I have two topics for ‘A’ because I couldn’t decide which topic I wanted to blog about more. After some thinking I came to the conclusion that both alcohol and adventure were large parts of travelling.

Of course I’m talking about travelling for pleasure in this blog post.

It’s nice to have a plan, or itinerary, when you’re on vacation. It’s also very nice not to have a plan, and just see where the day takes you. I like to do a bit of both. I don’t like to make any plans about how I’m going to spend my vacation until I get to my destination. I enjoy just taking in the sights and sounds and letting the connections I make guide a little of what I do. I enjoy asking locals what their opinions on locations and activities are, where the best place for meals are, where the best shopping is, and so forth. Locals want to show off the best parts of their home (for the most part, some can be down right miserable) and if you’re willing to travel just a little wayward you can come back from your travels with some interesting experiences.

While alcohol isn’t a must when travelling, it can certainly add a spin to your travels. Granted, people on vacation who drink at a binge level engage in risky behaviour that typically ends up being quite embarrassing. I’d like to focus more on the moderate level of alcohol consumption that I typically engage in: a glass of wine or two with a meal, meeting friends after work for a beer or two, or just relaxing in a yard at dusk with a gin and tonic.

Alcohol is a social lubricant, definitely: people lose a bit of their inhibitions and just socialize more comfortably, even if they only nurse one drink the entire night. If you travel to European nations where alcohol has been a long standing part of the culture people tend to socialize around places where alcohol is served. Ie. Pubs. While there are pubs in North America they’re just not the same as European pubs, and socializing in them is different. Especially when you have pubs existing for over a hundred years.

10 comments:

  1. Hello, Capillary! Sounds like you're a veteran of this A to Z thing by choosing a theme, and I think your theme rocks. I love to travel--some of my favorite places have been Tokyo, London, Cozumel, and New Zealand (the south island). What you said about alcohol totally makes sense--it's a good thing in moderation. I'm a newbie for this challenge and look forward to visiting blogs that are new to me like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! This is actually my first A to Z challenge and I'm enjoying it so far! It's great to meet a fellow traveler.

      Delete
  2. Hi there,
    #449 here. Traveling has got to be one of the best things there is. To immerse yourself in a new culture, to see and do that which you have not done is the best part. I believe there in an adventure waiting around every corner we just need to find it! Alcohol? Well I'll plead the fifth on that one! LOL. Have fun with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers!

    I'm here to say hi and welcome you to the Challenge!

    KarenG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm glad to see you've started the challenge. I enjoy advising people who are visiting my home of the attractions and where to go.

    This is me, Duncan D. Horne, visiting you from the A-Z challenge, wishing you all the best throughout April and beyond.

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have loved stopping in at your blog.

      Delete
  5. Hi there, stopping in from the A-Z challenge as well :D. I think we've encountered each other through the Writer's Campaign too, if I remember correctly.

    I think your pairing of adventure and alcohol is perfect together - after all, imbibing too much can definitely cause a few adventures you wouldn't do otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to run into each other again! Happy A to Z-ing!

      Delete