06 April 2012


F IS FOR FLYING

The world has become such a small place now that we can fly just about anywhere, even though it can still be pricey to get to some places. But now that people spend hours traveling across continents whereas it used to take weeks or months we have the ability to see and do more than in all previous generations.

Although in the last 11 years the way people fly as a means to travel has changed drastically: exponentially heightened security. I can remember a time when you didn’t have to be at the airport 2-3 hours before your flight and security was just walking through a gate. There was no such thing as liquid restriction or having “random” secondary security screenings. It almost feels like there’s almost too much hassle to travel by airplane because of all the waiting before, during, and after flights.

On the other hand, online check-in, airport WiFi, personalized entertainment screens, and more food kiosks has made the waiting bearable and sometimes enjoyable. I find I answer a much larger volume of e-mails, take time to read, and have time to write, though I have been distracted on many occasions by the in-flight and personalized entertainment systems. Where else can I catch up on ALL of the movies that I haven’t bothered to watch in the last 6 months?

In spite of my fear of heights I actually enjoy flying as a mode of travel and I still get excited like a little kid during take-off and landing. There are no passenger trains in the Canadian prairies so the only way to get anywhere is putting the effort into driving oneself. Planes are the only way to travel where you don’t have to do the driving yourself actually have the choice of sleeping the whole journey away.

7 comments:

  1. I love flying! I still only arrive at the airport one hour ahead of time despite the obnoxious security protocols. No wonder I'm often rushing to the gate. ;) My longest flights have been to Japan and New Zealand, and they weren't too bad. Especially on my way to NZ it was a great chance to catch up on movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I agree! It's the only time I end up watching a tv screen for more than 4 hours guilt free.

      Delete
  2. not a fan of flying, i endure it for the destination =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love flying....I even like turbulence. I wish I could afford to fly more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I. Most people get freaked out and I would too if I didn't pretend it was like being on a roller coaster.

      A pilot wouldn't be a pilot if he or she only knew how to fly in good weather.

      Delete
  4. I find flying exciting. I never tire of looking down at everything.

    A-Z @ Elizabeth Twist

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi…I’m hopping over from the A to Z Challenge. Lovely post…good luck with the challenge.

    Donna L Martin
    http://www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete