07 April 2012


G IS FOR GADGETS

When I’m traveling, either by car or by airplane, I feel like there are more children aboard than when I was a kid. I also don’t know how any of these children would survive if they each didn’t have an iPad or PSVista or laptop of their own.

Sure my mom tried experimenting with having a TV running during long road trips, powered by the cigarette lighter. But she wouldn’t be a techie if she hadn’t tried before minivans made DVD players a standard feature.

Granted, I have my own fair share of gadgets to keep me occupied during those layover moments, but I never leave home without a notebook to scribble in or something to read. It leads to over-packing and a bit of redundancy when you have a laptop and an iPod already in a bag. It’s only that I feel like I’m missing out on the travel experience if I’m absorbed in my gadgets.

On the other hand, they’re so useful, not just to occupy yourself during the dullest of the travel moments. You can book hotel rooms, check out restaurants in upcoming locations, check the weather, convert money, etc etc.

There is an app for everything, after all.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so torn between gadgets and the jackknife and nothing! I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from the A to Z Challenge.

    Did you happen to watch the History Channel program on 101 Gadgets that Changed the World. Google it. You'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On long road trips, I brought a library with me. Seriously. Trip to Disneyland - I took 7 books.

    Now, I'm like you. Laptop, ipod and a book. Sometimes a notepad and pen, but not usually since I can't read my own writing very well.

    Man, I would have been set if I could have had a computer or DVD player or even an ipod on those long road trips when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete