17 April 2012



O IS FOR ORGANIZATION

This is a tough one to talk about. On one hand you don't want to get fixated on the small details of a trip because you expect an adventure. On the flip side, if there is no game plan or some thought put into what you pack or how to get to where you're going your adventure can get fairly miserable. If not for you, then for the people around you.

If that last sentence seems a bit confusing, let me share a little story about a friend I had. My husband and I were staying around Belfast and a friend from my home town was in England visiting her then boyfriend. Before we had left on our respective trips we had agreed to meet up in Belfast. I had waited for an email from her to confirm that they were indeed still coming several days before my husband and I were going to be there. Nothing yet.

The day before I was sent her flight information, minutes after she had booked the flight and B&B. Picking them up worked out alright, thankfully, but finding their B&B was a bit of a mission. Neither of them knew the address or the name of where they were staying. We spent a good two hours trying to get them to where they needed to go.

The rest of the weekend was pretty awesome: sight seeing and eating out and going to pubs. The frequent damper on the weekend was that because my friend and her boyfriend booked everything the night before they paid at least triple for their travel expenses than they would have if everything had been booked the week previous. This left them with less money to go out and enjoy themselves like they had originally planned.

Not that my husband and I had any sort of plan of what we were going to do that weekend, but it was a test of patience and our friendship to have a couple traveling with you that doesn't travel the same way you do. My husband and I are pretty easy going but we like to have a few things together before we set out, especially if it means being able to cash in on a deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment