10 May 2012

21 DAY CHALLENGE - Day 16, January 22


You don’t have to tell me twice!

On the other hand, I’m not scared of the scale. I don’t mind seeing my weight, even though I’m not always happy about the number that the scale displays. But I’ve learned that scales can be helpful and harmful all in one ball.

It’s a good idea to weigh yourself regularly, but only if you’re making lifestyle changes. If you weigh yourself regularly without trying to live a healthy lifestyle or make changes my question to you is this: what is the point? You know it’s a weight you don’t like and it’s going to get you down, especially if you’re one of those people who weighs themselves in the morning. It’s just going to ruin your whole day.

On the other hand, if your goal is lose weight or something of the sort, then it’s a good tool to see if your progress. There aren’t too many other ways to measure progress, except to feel how tight your clothes are. Which, as a woman, isn’t a good indicator either since we have ever fluctuating hormones that affect water retention and how we look at ourselves.

But there is a smart way to weight yourself:
1) pick a day of the week and stick to that, like every Monday or Tuesday
2) try to do it at the same time every day, like before you have breakfast that Monday or Tuesday
3) Keep in mind weight easily fluctuates depending on what you’ve eaten: the more sodium or alcohol, the more water retention
4) If your weight stagnates use your clothes as an indicator
5) Don't’ weigh yourself once a month on your designated day: you should stress about the numbers all the time, you need to live a little too!

2 comments:

  1. I need to make smarter lifestyle choices. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always good to remember that the numbers on the scale aren't everything. I know I break the rules by weighing myself every day, but I don't let it rule my day, just guide my eating/exercising behaviors for the day...

    Once I'm where I want to do, it'll probably drop to weekly for the first while of maintaining and then monthly once I know I can maintain.

    ReplyDelete