12 July 2012

50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind - #9

To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken?

Being the kind of person that likes to have things planned to a T, and then having multiple back up plans, I would like to think I've had a considerable amount of say in my life. However, I know that I've probably have very influence into the greater workings of my life.

Over the last  couple months I've had to go through various government systems to start a new life in a new country and it's been stressful for a couple reasons. Firstly, you hope you fill out all of the forms correctly. Secondly, all these bits of paper cost a lot of money. Thirdly, you realize that your life is in somebody else's hands.

I always knew I had relatively little control over my life, but waiting for my UK visa really hit home how much of my life was really out of my hands. All of a sudden quotes about how the only thing I could control was my attitude continuously flashed before my eyes. I didn't want those people who came up with those to be right, but they were, and coming to fully accept that took a few bottles of wine.

On the other hand, I do believe that there are many small decisions that affect the greater outcome. The little ways you spend your day, like going to the gym or going over to your neighbour's house to say hi can set off a series of events that might be different if you hadn't made those choices.

So on the whole, I have accepted that in the greater scheme, I had very little control: everything ends up as it's supposed to. On the small scale, I have control over a number aspects of my life, namely, my attitude.


In reference to "the big things" that are out of my control...


In reference to those little things....



No comments:

Post a Comment