14 August 2012

50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind - #34 & #35

Have you ever been with someone, said nothing, and walked away feeling like you just had the best conversation ever?

No?


Why do religions that support love cause so many wars?

I read a quote somewhere that it was your behaviour that makes you a good person, not your beliefs. I liked it, mostly because it was always something I wanted to say for a number of years but could never put it so concisely.

I went to school and worked with a lot of "religious" people who thought themselves to be morally upstanding people. I found them to be especially closed minded and impractical in their approach to the world we live in, and the worst, hypocritical. I learned of so many couples that "saved themselves for marriage" but had done everything sexual except intercourse... Really? I mean, I could care less what they did, but that they had the nerve to be condescending towards me and others because we hadn't "saved ourselves for marriage" was a bit much. 

For a long time I didn't mention that I had any religious affiliation because I didn't want to be classed with people who promoted love and forgiveness but were quick to judge your life style choices.  I wanted people to get to know me, and that I was a pretty open person, that I tried to live a balanced lifestyle, that just happened to include religion and spirituality. I believe that a healthy sense of spirituality is important, that it should have a place in your life, but shouldn't become your life.

Over the years of learning about religions, the history of religion, and religious people, I now know that it has always been about power: control over territory, resources, and people. Religion has been a long standing platform for people to exert power and control and it's just been history repeating itself over and over again because someone has a new interpretation about how life should be lived.

Religious bodies continue to rope people in today because it promises the non-tangible needs to people that they are searching for and want fulfilled: a sense of belonging, hope, forgiveness, a home, charity, respite, etc etc. Innocent when you look at them this way, but quickly twisted by those in authoritative positions.

As my dad would say, "Don't hand your brain in at the door. God gave us a brain for a reason."

No comments:

Post a Comment