20 August 2012

50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind - #38


Would you rather have less work to do, or more work you actually enjoy doing?

I would love a balance of working hard when I'm at work, but not having to work that often.Or something like that.

In the previous question I answered I made a statement that it was important to continue going to work, even if you didn't need to. I wouldn't turn my hobby into a job either as I'm pretty sure I would like it less, even though there's that quote that says "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life." I had to Google that quote because I couldn't remember the exact wording of it, but then I stumbled across this Bad Career Advice article that summed up what I was thinking in a much better way.

During this lack of employment I've thought a lot about what I want to do for a job and career. I've relaxed a lot about the turning the writing as part of my career for some of the reasons that were mentioned in the article. It became a job that I didn't want to do anymore. I will still endeavour to write and publish a book, but it won't let it become a job on top of my job.

I know there will never be a job I truly love, but there is a job I want to come home from where I feel satisfied that I did my best and that my work felt somewhat meaningful. We spend so much of our lives at work that I don't think that's something unreasonable to want and aim for.

No comments:

Post a Comment