13 September 2012

Celebrating Bloggers

Celebrating Bloggers blog hop



Funny how once you start looking for blog hops you suddenly find a million? Well, I did. As advertised on the left, I will be participating in another one next week Monday as well. I didn't expect September to be such a busy month!

About this time last year I wrote a blog post about Why I Write. I remember feeling quite passionate about the subject and writing it rather fervently at the time too. It's a bit lengthy, so I skimmed a lot of it (I won't be offended if no one reads it, it's quite long, actually) but I found a lot of reasons of why I write still hold to be true:

  1. Keeping a journal is therapy. This was how I first started to write as a kid. I carried this over into the angsty teen years, and sort of had an estranged relationship with it during Uni. However, on any given really, awful, shitty day, I always returned to scribbling into a notebook and pouring my heart out. Not ever going to be published, unless my future grandchildren think it will be a get rich quick scheme, I have used those journals as a way to keep sane.
  2.  To keep a sort of documentation of my life. Every family has a history, some more dramatic than others, and I think that the past 3 generations of my family is one of those interesting ones. My grandparents have lived through a lot and I think getting their story and wisdom down would be something priceless to pass onto the next generation.
  3. Communicating or having a voice. I feel like I have something to contribute to this world, and why should I feel any different? Writing and blogging are avenues for me to make myself heard and make the contributions. I'm quite grateful that it's easier today than it has been before.
  4. Connecting with people. Kind of related to number 3, communicating with people will hopefully allow me to connect with other people. Sure there will be a lot of people where you'll be like, "No way, totally can't relate" sort of like me not liking chocolate. But then, sometimes you come across a blog or a book and you're like "I totally know what you're talking about!" and you feel a little less lonely.
  5. Networking. Again, related to the previous point, and more specific to blogging, but this is why I love blogging. When I read the blogs of other published authors or fitness experts I feel like I have an online mentor with all the tips and tricks they post, or "how to" guides.







6 comments:

  1. Hey! I think most bloggers can relate to those reasons! :) Thanks for dropping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing i don't like in this post is your not liking chocolate :P Thanks so much for visiting ... i have got a lot of hopping to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Happy hopping! :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome list! I really agree with #2. Even though my blog is about books -- and thus not really documenting my whole life -- I still view it as a history of sorts. I can look back years from now and remember all my favourite books, the authors I met, and so on. I love having it all stored away somewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for taking part in Celebrating Bloggers! I loved this event and I really enjoyed your post. I completely agree with your points - especially connecting. I've made some amazing friends through my blog and feel so grateful. Thanks again for taking part!

    My best,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete