02 November 2012

NaNoWriMo Day 2


Day 2 of my 30 Days of NaNoWriMo Scenes: The Flashback Scene.

To be honest, I started researching how to write flash back scenes yesterday because I don't have a foggy clue. The flashbacks I've written in the past I try to unfold like a flashback in a movie, which isn't fair because they are different mediums.

So I did a little research and found Writer's Digest article to be fairly helpful, if a bit lengthy for NaNo. Somebody should send me their list of flash back tips.

In the end, I found this scene difficult to write. There was just something about the banter I wanted to set up that I couldn't get down (but thanks to Terias McKlay, that was rectified), and then how I worked the flashback, and possibly because I don't know what my plot is, other than "Save The World" I didn't really know what I was talking about. On the other hand, if I do keep this scene, I've got a good back story developed for one character.

But, without boring anybody too much, here's the best bit from the Flashback Scene. Well, the least boring bit anyway. Best would be a matter of opinion... (Note to self: stop rambling, you don't have to write blog posts like your NaNo WIP).



“Eff off shitty pants, I’m not in the mood for you.” Maya finally said, eyes piercing Ollie’s skull.

“What’s the matter honey bee? Get stuck in a bonnet?” 

“Oliver…” 

“Or did someone pee in your porridge this morning? No wait, it must be your PMS shining through on this wonderful morning.”

“I am going to shove this spoon so far—“

“Manners, my dear lady, manners.” Ollie said in a chastising tone before continuing, “Not that anyone actually expects you to be a lady, but it’s always nice to play pretend. Especially at your age.” 

 “I had it.” 

Seconds later the table beneath Maya’s hands shook. Small vibrations at first, then more pronounced and determined. Allegra grabbed her cup of tea from the table before it shook so violently that it split apart, half the table flying at Ollie. 

“Is that the best you got, Honey Bee?” Ollie taunted.




No comments:

Post a Comment