16 January 2013

Counting Calories

Source

Watched Pride & Prejudice yesterday, the 2005 version starring Keira Knightley. I have to admit that I didn't know the story that well but I enjoyed the movie all the same. The witty comebacks that Elisabeth had were amazing and it's made me wonder how witty Jane Austen must have been.

Or she was just good remembering the comebacks she heard in her life.

Anyways, onto what I was actually going to blog about: continuing to log into MyFitnessPal.com.


 As you can see, I haven't logged anything yet today...

I usually do it at night now, recap everything I've eaten. But I had to start off tracking my food as I ate it because I had no idea how many calories was really in the portions I ate or how quickly your daily calorie allotment could be used up. After I did a bit of reading on the calorie counting and food diary subject (some people reporting that counting doesn't actually work - the idea now that not all calories are the same, to which I can only saw "Duh") I eventually made the decision to use MFP consistently last year. I found I lost weight more steadily than when I skipped counting because I had this notion I knew what was a healthy limit.

And it's not that I didn't know what was a healthy portion, I just got lazy when I started skipping logging into MFP and over indulged in the healthy and not-so-healthy foods. While just logging my food in at night doesn't give me the instant feed back of over indulgence, it still does keep me accountable. I feel like I've become far more disciplined with my food than I was this time last year, so the end of the day feedback is sufficient.

Don't get me wrong, even though I count calories, I don't always stick to the calorie goal (sometimes you just get cravings, you know?), and sometimes seeing the end result of a particularly indulgent night can be painful. But everyday a person gets a new start, and I think it's important for myself and anybody else who wants to lose weight to put yesterday's missteps behind me and just try again.

Source
Source

4 comments:

  1. I've found that when you count calories for long enough - you start getting a better idea of healthy limits on food, but not counting for long enough and you start not caring. Part of the reason I started counting again after a year of not doing it.

    Also, I love the BBC made for TV version of Pride & Prejudice with Colin Firth over the 2005 version with Keira Knightley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true about the calories, and I make sure to have a "free day" where I don't count at all so I keep up the motivation the rest of the week.

      I have a mild dislike for Colin Firth and I don't know why so it's likely I'll never watch that version of P&P.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I have myfitnesspal and haven't used it in months. This is making me feel guilty. I should log onto it and start counting my calories. Maybe I'll put it off until I get over this really bad cold as I mostly just lie around in bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely difficult to get motivated when you're feeling unwell. But when you do start using MFP again, find me! We'll be friends. :3

      Delete