20 February 2013

Fortitude +2, Strength +1, Cleverness -1

Randomly stumbling across blogs I found a new Blog Hop to take part in. I do believe I'm a glutton for punishment: last time I signed up for so much I failed at coming through. But this time it's different.

Because I say so.


Share your favourite game with us! It can be a video game, a board game, a party game, a card game, a childhood playground game--you name it. Let us know how it works and why you love it.

 I have to say, me and my family never really got into board games. The extent of my board game experience  is sadly, Monopoly and the German version of "Sorry!". I have no idea how to play Risk or Mousetrap or I don't even know what else is out there.

Somehow, my brothers and I got into video games, each of getting the original GameBoy one year. Curious how my mom managed to master Tetris too...

Source

A couple years later we got the SNES and I still managed to suck at most games. Except for Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. That was the first time I fell in love with that franchise, you know, before it became a franchise. So when my brothers and I got to upgrade to the N64 and Ocarina of Time was released that's all I could play and think about. That game, even that system tops my list.

Source

It was honestly the first and only console where I appreciated and enjoyed playing first person shooters, specifically GoldenEye when Pierce Brosnan was cast as James Bond. Obviously I started out being the target of both my brothers in that game, but I soon learned enough skillz to match them, even winning a round or two over the years.

But it wasn't too long after that where I really fell in love with RPG's. SquareSoft, now SquareEnix, had released Final Fantasy 7 for PC. It was a brilliant opportunity for me to play a new game series I would have never had access to, being a Nintendo patron. Even though Final Fantasy has changed dramatically over the last few games, I'm still a fan of the franchise, but number 7 will always hold a special place in my heart.

Source


As amazing as the game play and graphics for Final Fantasy 13 are, I now have Final Fantasy I and Tetris on my iPhone. If anybody else has a smartphone with games on it, let me know which ones.

32 comments:

  1. Ooh! I love Tetris!
    ]Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tetris is a blast, though it gets blinding when you play for hours on end! I don't know about you, but my eyes start watering and I need to stop for a few minutes, before I can go on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have those moments, especially in the higher levels when the blocks are falling faster than you can think!

      Delete
  3. I am a huge fan of Tetris and the Legend of Zelda (in any of its incarnations). I've never played Final Fantasy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My recommendation if you're curious about FF is play a few of the older ones: 6, 7, or 9 are good to start off with.

      Delete
  4. Ocarina of Time was the first video game I ever completed, and it's one of my top games ever. I wrote what was basically a love letter over at Geek Banter:
    http://alsgeekbanter.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/top-vg-countdown-3-ocarina-of-time.html

    Thanks for taking part in the blogfest!
    Jamie @ Mithril Wisdom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the love letter! Took the words right out of my mouth. :3

      Delete
  5. Awesome picks and, strangely enough, I've been getting in to the original Zelda lately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have I mentioned your my favourite for mentioning both Final Fantasy AND Zelda? Ocarina of Time is one of my favourite games of all time. Great picks! Thanks for joining in the blogfest!

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to oblige! Thanks for stopping by. :3

      Delete
  7. Many hours did I spend with Zelda...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it Link or was it Zelda?

      XD

      (terrible LoZ meme referencing...)

      Delete
  8. I nearly used Zelda for mine, too. That was the game my SNES came with and I loved it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Link's Awakening for the SNES was my first introduction to the series. I watched my brothers play that game for ages before giving it a try myself. Love LoZ series.

      Delete
  9. I've never played any of the Final Fantasy games myself, but a large portion of my childhood was spent watching my sister on number 10, which I absolutely loved, mainly because of the storyline. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Final Fantasy storylines really know how to suck you in...

      Delete
  10. I love Tetris. A few people chose that one for the hop. Final Fantasy is one my son has played a ton of. It definitely looks cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you get sucked in, you can never get out. Much like Pinterest...

      Delete
  11. Tetris was one of the few games I ever mastered on my son's Nintendo. I could play it for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is fun seeing that so many people wrote about Tetris. It really is a game that crosses over to everyone, passionate gamers and those who wouldn't consider trying other video games.

    I've never played Zelda and I really should go back and play all those games. There are so many people who love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I love about all the new consoles is that you can download and play most of the old games, and I have to say Zelda is truly timeless.

      Delete
  13. Hot off the presses! This blog received a Liebster Award on Effectively Human: http://effectivelyhuman.blogspot.com/2013/02/liebster-love-time.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so very much! I'll be posting about that very soon! :3

      Delete
  14. Really should have included FF 7 on my list of games - fantastic memories of that game.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great memories for great games. It's funny that no one else asked about phone games . . .my favorite is Fruit Ninja. Don't ask me why, but I find it fun, and I don't get sucked in . . .or at least not for more than 5-10 minutes, which is all the time I can afford if I'm away from home and gaming on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the funny thing with smart phones, we could use them productively and make ourselves smarter (haha...) instead we use them mindlessly for simply games. I mean, my list includes solitaire, frogger, angry birds, bejeweled...

      Delete
  16. Fantastic games. I was addicted to Tetris when it first came out. Final Fantasy VII is my favorite too. I played it for countless hours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Tetris even today. I remember my high school best friend buying a tetris game - that was all you could play on it - for $25. We thought it was a total bargain. hehe. we spent hours playing it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post! I came across this blog challenge and was going to do it, too, but decided I shouldn't right now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Funny you should mention Tetris for smartphones--I just added it to my phone yesterday. :P I've never played Final Fantasy; it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People love the series or hate, or have begun to hate it with the shift in direction. But once you get sucked in, no turning back. :3

      Delete