21 March 2013

Busy and Productive? Part 2



Today’s post is a continuation of yesterday’s post, so go here to read part one.

The last couple weeks have been far, far busier than I anticipated between moving, having my mother visit, going for job interviews, and trying to achieve all my goals. Granted, I knew it was going to be a busy month so I purposefully kept my list of goals shorter and for a shorter time period.

As always, I accomplished some goals I hadn’t intended to, such as visiting Stonehenge and so forth. What frightened me is that I almost forgot what I had actually set out as goals at the start of the month. Because of the chaos, I wasn’t able to have my list of goals handy to look at every morning that I had gotten into a routine of doing. It reminded me of the importance of not only writing down my goals but having them visible to me on a regular basis.

Source


The rest of this week has been gearing up for my tournament. It's mostly a mental thing and make sure I get enough sleep thing and don't stress too much about it thing because that will just become exhausting and I'll get absolutely nothing accomplished.

So I started Googling: I wanted to know how to stay productive.

I wanted to see if I could put my mind at ease about being very busy with things that were beyond me (like moving) and not accomplishing my March goals. I found this interesting article that sort of guided me in some self-reflection: Am I just busy or am I actually being productive? Or am I both?

While I'm happy with my March goals in that I think ultimately they are going to add to my greater life vision (which is vague, granted, but it's still there), I couldn't say the same with my tentative April goals. I'm not one to back down out of a commitment lightly, however, I had to admit to myself that participating in the A to Z challenge this year will ultimately make me busier and less productive than I can afford to be.


My vague aim is to be employed, be active, and write a bit more. With the amazing community spirit of A to Z I feel like I have bitten off more than I could chew and I won't be able to visit as many other blogs as I would like. I mean, all, ideally, but not going to be feasible. The A to Z challenge won't contribute to the vague employment, fitness, and writing aim I have in mind presently as the hours I would spend blogging and visiting other blogs needs to be spent elsewhere. Lack of prep this month has made me dread the challenge, which is not a good start.

However!

I will still participate. I will blog A to Z and visit as many people as possible, but especially those who visit and comment on my blog. This just means that for the next A to Z challenge I will either not participate or find a way to make A to Z productive for me. But it all comes down to re-evaluation of my goals and keeping my vision visible and at the forefront.

Enough of that seriousness.

Who else is participating in A to Z? Feeling overwhelmed or ready for this?

12 comments:

  1. I've done the A to Z challenge the last two years. The first time I just winged it and wrote the posts as I went on whatever I could think of. Last year I went with a theme and wrote half the posts ahead of time. Both were great but exhausting experiences. This year I'm bowing out so I can finish writing my novel, but I'll still check in on everyone's posts. Good luck! It's an awesome way to meet and get to know new people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a theme last year as well and I managed alright. This year I've been waffling on a theme and just haven't had the prep time I would have normally had. But I'll give it my best shot anyway!

      Delete
  2. I had a tough time deciding if I would do A-Z this year. I am doing it, but I'm going to keep my blog posts very short. It is very overwhelming to think of daily blogging. I also WANT to visit all my visitors, so that adds more time on the schedule. I do feel lucky when people visit me. I know others are as busy as I am. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to adopt your strategy and keep my posts short so that I also get a chance to visit other people's blogs. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Daily blogging is certainly a challenge, but I know you can do it. I keep telling myself during hard tasks: at least no one is shooting at you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, there is always a silver lining isn't there?

      Delete
  4. I am also doing the challenge, but I am trying to do some of my posts ahead of time. Somehow I entered two blogs into the challenge! perhaps i bit off more than I can chew? we will see. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, perhaps!?! Good luck with the challenge!

      Delete
  5. Looks like you do have a lot going on, but if you keep yourself organized and try to get some of you A-Z posts pre-written, you'll be fine. Last year I wrote my A-Z posts on the fly and it was crazy. Having a theme is the only thing that got me through the challenge. This year, I'm not making the same mistake, I'll have all my posts pre-written. Anyway, good luck! Keep yourself motivated and you'll do great. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouraging words! Good luck with your challenge this April as well. :3

      Delete
  6. I've done A-Z the last two years. I went with random topics, but this year I'm going with a movie theme. Like Brinda, I plan on keeping my posts short. I've got my first five posts ready to go, and I'll try to get more done this week before the craziness starts. See ya around the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sound as if you've got yourself together, whether it feels like it or not. I'm taking up the A-Z Challenge too. See you around.

    ReplyDelete