25 March 2013

English Championships

Yesterday the Taekwon-Do Association of Great Britain (TAGB) hosted the English Championships in Coventry. I had signed up for Ladies Patterns and Light Heavyweight sparring.


After practicing my patterns for the dozenth time that morning, I finally managed to convince myself that I knew Won Yol and I wasn't going to forget it when the time came. I didn't watch anybody else's patterns and I didn't look at anybody else's score. My inner monologue was varying forms of "Breathe. Make sure you slow down. Breathe. Add power." before, during, and after my pattern.

Before

During
When they called up two women to do their patterns again for the bronze tie breaker I was disappointed that my name wasn't called. I thought for sure if I didn't get bronze then I didn't place at all. I was over the moon when they called my name (though mispronouncing it horribly) for the gold medal.

After.
Sparring for my division was directly after patterns, though the light and middle weight divisions were first. It was enough time to get my head back in the game and let the jitters return. There ended up being only one heavyweight lady so the ref asked myself and the one other light heavy lady if she should bring out the scale to definitely determine our weight or if we would be OK with the heavyweight joining us. We unanimously agreed to leave the scale where it was and just spar.

Nope, no scale. Not when you look this seksy.
I sparred the heavy weight  competitor first and then had a thirty second rest before I had to fight the next competitor. My cold made it difficult to catch my breath and I felt like I was hanging out of my rear. The husband unit, who was there and cheering me on along, said I looked pretty good. My coach told me I looked like I was a deer in the headlights. I won't contest that: I was nervous as hell.


Without the risk of making this too much a feelingz post, I'll just say it's difficult to describe what I was feeling. My hands and legs were vibrating after the whole thing was over and I was on some sort of a high. My coach put it aptly when he said, "You've put a few demons to rest." Though, he won't know exactly how many and what kind.

(I was going to put a picture of me with my sparring medal
but it has my coach standing next to me. My coach has his FB security
settings on max so out of respect for my coach I won't put it up.)

I reveled in my gold medals for the rest of last night and while I could revel in the glory of it all for a little while longer, I won't. Training continues tonight. There's another tournament in six weeks time and in three months I will grade for my blue belt. Before I get my head back into training I wanted to say thank you for all the support and encouragement I've received to take this very big, and scary, step back into Tae Kwon Do training and competing. I appreciate it all.


18 comments:

  1. Wow, very impressed!! Congrats on the gold and best of luck in your next competition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome!! I've never even tried a martial art, but I'd love to do it someday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly encourage anyone to try!

      Delete
  3. Wow, very cool. You kicked some Taekwon-Do butt out there. And your discipline is showing! Only one night to enjoy your gold medals before working toward the next goal. You sound like my main character. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rest for the wicked, as they say. :)

      Delete
  4. That sounds so awesome! Congrats on the gold medals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome! I've always wanted to get involved with martial arts but alas, I have spine problems. So no kicking, punching, or any other vigorous movements for me :(

    Congrats on the gold medals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Have you tried Tai Chi before? Similar principles but without the craziness.

      Delete
  6. Wow, Impressive! Martial arts are great to watch and I admire those who can practice them but I lack any sports skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful to meet a fellow martial artist!! love this post :)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on winning a gold medal! What a huge accomplishment especially considering that you weren't feeling well! Now I can never whine when I have a cold.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! Haha, well, the adrenaline helped push me through I think. I felt so rotten the next day because I had nothing left.

      Delete
  9. How cool! Congratlations! I've pondered getting into martial arts, but the time and money are tricky right now. I'm hoping when my kids are older I can pull it off.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's tough to balance everything you want to do, but I hope life works out in a way that will allow you to try it out. I was fortunate that growing up the instructors provided a family rate so my brothers, dad, and myself could practice.

      Delete