I know it's not the first of the month, but the first Monday of the month is a pretty good start for my new list of goals. 7 Things in 7 Weeks until I'm 27 really reinforced that I need to keep the bigger picture in mind while breaking down my goals into manageable chunks. Sure I want to finish Elisa's Thoughts, but just putting "complete one unfinished project"on my list hasn't given me much direction in the past. So while that's my overall goal, setting out "complete three chapters this month" allowed me to keep the big picture in mind, set a realistic goal, and make progress even if I didn't accomplish exactly what I originally wanted.
Keeping that concept in mind, overloading myself with goals hasn't done me any favours either. When I started making goals I wrote out a list of 101 Things to do in 1001 Days. I failed at that not only because I thought I had a lot of time but also I felt like I had a cliff face to climb without the proper equipment. Over the years other opportunities and interests cropped up and I tried to include them on top of my 101 goals. Another problem of mine was that I was far too inflexible to just change my damn list.
So March 2013 has come with a preset list of goals ready to be crossed off my list.
- As part of my "participate in 10 competitions or challenges that aren't NaNo related" I will participate in the Lascaux Flash competition. Submissions open March 6 and close on the 30th. I'm throwing this out as an open challenge to everyone but I'm particularly looking at Crystal. Only because I know she struggles a lot of with flash fic. I'm a good friend.
- A fitness goal of mine is to participate in a Tae Kwon Do tournament. The English Championships will be in Coventry March 24. Last week I handed in my registration form for patterns and sparring for this event. Between my move, physio, and my mother visiting training will be a challenge to fit in but I'll be ready for it.
- Read 1 book. I managed one last month I feel pretty confident about this one. Even with everything else going on.
- Write 2 more chapters for Elisa's Thoughts this month.
I know I did a Three Goal Recap last week, but I missed listing a few inadvertantly accomplished goals.
- Edit YouTube "About Me". So this happened when I updated my G+ profile, but then I realized I meant "Edit YouTube Channel page". So I did. You can see the work in progress here.
- This was part of my 7 Things challenge, but I did forget to mention that I managed to complete my "Drunk 8 glasses of water a day". Though it turned out to be herbal tea more often than not, I did significantly increase my fluid intake. Surprised, I felt better and a little less hungry than usual.Though I am always on the lookout for a toilet when I'm in public...
- I also read, well listened to the audiobook, of Jane Austen's "Sense & Sensibility". I have decided to keep track of all my reading goals by using GoodReads. It makes sense, doesn't it? I'm going to try and get a widget set up in the near future but until then, GoodReads friends, why do you all have to mark and list so many interesting looking books. Do you know how long my "to read" list is now???
Tell me how is your goal progress so far. Any new goals set for this month?