18 March 2013

Top Ten Movie Bloghop

OMG, a third bloghop?

 

So, Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh is hosting a blog hop counting down our favourite top ten movies. Simple enough, though I feel like I'm repeating my favourites a lot. But then, it can't be helped that some of the movies I find awesome cross over into other blog hop categories. Right?


Before I count down my list,  check out the list of participants on Alex's blog and share the blog love.


10. The Matrix, not the trilogy.

Source

I loved The Matrix when it was first in movie theatres. I had to watch it twice before I really understood it, but once I got it, I got it. I still ignore that two sequels and a number of video games emerged as a result of the original genius.

9. The 13th Warrior
Source

 An old favourite for reasons of myth, magic, multi-culture, and the ever persistent action and adventure.

8. Gladiator

Source

Rome is fascinating. Stories about Rome are fascinating. Epic stories about underdogs from Rome are the best and a fit Russell Crowe is the icing on the cake.

7. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

Source

Clearly, re-popularized pirates by combining them with zombies, but had everything I could want in a movie. Besides pirates: action, adventure, humour, romance, and magic. While the first one was brilliant, the first and second sequel I can acknowledge. The last PotC movie I’m having difficulty accepting. Like a stain in the carpet you try hiding with the couch…

6. Lord of the Rings trilogy (and inevitably, The Hobbit).

Source

Peter Jackson has made me fair weather Tolkien fan. In other words, I consume the media produced as a result of the movies.

5. Brave
Source

Tough chick. Magic. Action. Adventure. Humour. Best “family movie” in a long time.

4. Pitch Black

Source
 An old favourite that was brilliant for many, many reasons. Not just because it was released on my birthday. Sadly, with the release of sequels and a rename to be included in a series of media, the original awesomeness has been forgotten.


3. Transformers Trilogy

Source

OMG. LUV. Although, the least love for the third installment: Rose just isn’t Meg.

2. Mulan

Source

The last “family movie” Disney made before switching totally to computer animation. What a wonderful creation it was. Also, ignoring the sequel.

1. The Crow


While the theme is love, it’s not sexy-love. It’s ever-lasting, through the ages, through dimensions, through different states of existence sort of love. I could embrace that as a teen and even now as an adult. Brilliant of all kinds and tragic for a number of reasons (and totally ignoring the sequels).


If you didn't get a chance to participate in the bloghop, let me know anyway what some of your movie favs are.

37 comments:

  1. I love how you included "The Matrix, but not the trilogy" and I am with you on that. The first movie was fantastic, the other two not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mulan was such a simple film that had a powerful meaning or is that the other way around?

    Jeremy [Retro-Z]
    Howlin' Wolf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! But suffice to say, there aren't enough movies like it.

      Delete
  3. Oh, totally forgot about The 13th Warrior....great flick and you have a great list here, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mulan. This list is epic. Loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, someone else with The 13th Warrior on their list :D I love that film, it made my #2. When I first saw Pitch Black I wasn't overly enamoured, but it's one of those films that has grown on me, probably because I love The Chronicles of Riddick (Director's cut). Great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the director's cut, but I'm thinking it needs to be done. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I liked a lot of the same movies (but forgot them when making my list). Pitch Black gave me the creeps (it proved there ARE things in the dark. . .)

    Matrix was fun, using distortion and illusion. Just wouldn't want to live there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOTR was on my list! And I've seen the 13th Warrior show up several times today.
    Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list, enjoyed every single one on it. Even though transformers has that Shia umm person lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge Shia fan, but I think it was a good pic considering other actors in his age bracket. I mean, could you really see Zac Efron playing this sort of lead well?

      Delete
  9. Great picks! I can't believe I forgot Mulan. I must've watched that movie at least 20 times.
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your list looks like it was written up by my best friend from college. I used to like The Crow... until I'd seen about a bajillion times. Okay, I probably do still like it, especially since it's been more than a decade since I've seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! Compliments to your college friend. :3

      Delete
  11. I actually walked out of the second Matrix movie. I was waiting for a train, and didn't really have enough time to see a film anyway, so not planned well from the start. But it seemed all showoffy fight sequences and no heart. First one's good though. Pitch Black passed me by - now I'm intrigued...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check out Pitch Black!!!

      Delete
  12. I like a lot of those too! Agree totally with the Matrix as the only of those I rewatch :) STILL haven't seen Brave - have to fix that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fix it quick! It's a great movie. :3

      Delete
  13. I love this list. All great movies, and I see a theme. You love strong characters, who are willing to fight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I never saw the trend before! :3

      Delete
  14. I have seen some of your choices, but not all. The Crow has turned up once or twice, will have to try and see it.



    JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth watching. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  15. You have some great action/fantasy movies on your list. I've enjoyed them all. The only one I'm not familiar with is Pitch Black. However, the poster has certainly gotten my attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get the chance, definitely watch it!

      Delete
  16. Matrix blew me away. It was a completely new way of thinking and I was hooked. Totally didn't "get" the second two movies and I thought I was fairly intelligent...guess not so much. Loved LOTR and my favorite animated movie is How to Train Your Dragon.
    Also, loved Pitch Black. Really great sci-fi, and who can resist Vin Diesel...


    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
    @TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Crow was awesome. Such a class. Nice other pics too. I love Matrix too. Haven't seen all these movies.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with Miranda that your list has a theme of "strong characters..." I'll have to toughen up and check out some of these movies.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah you're right, we have no overlap but I LOVE Mulan, Gladiator, LOTR and Pirates!

    Daire

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great choices! I was going to add Mulan--even downloaded the picture--and forgot (there're only 9 on my blog post).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the list...OMG, I forgot about the 13th Warrior! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete