08 April 2013

12 Things in 12 Weeks Update 1/12

I meant to get this up yesterday but the A to Z "rest day" I took seriously. Well, where the internet was concerned. I didn't read or blog or anything instead, I spent the afternoon tidying the shed.

Oh, the shed.

Another location to put things out of sight and out of mind.

Happy for you, I won't be out of sight from your respective feeds and updates with a second blog post today as I check in with my 12 Things in 12 Weeks until Summer Solstice goals.

1. As per my Solstice goals list, I needed to add a GoodReads widget to my blog. It's done! Though you'll have to scroll done a bit to see it on your right. I am thoroughly enjoying GoodReads and the lists it lets me make.

2. Purchase a Foam Roller. If you've been with me for a while you'll know that I have some knee problems. Physio recommended I use one regularly along with various glute exercises to help with my IT band problems so I can start running again.

3. In spite of doing my physio I need to remove "Run twice a week" from my goal list. It's killed me to do that since I was gearing up for the running thing: it looked like my knee was on the mend. I went for a run about ten days ago and I couldn't even get to the ten minute mark before my leg and knee started to hurt. Even TKD training was painful.

Yes, I wanted to cry.

In my follow up appointment with my physiotherapist she said she was disappointed with me that I wasn't improving and suggested a cortisone injection. I had the idea rolling around in my head for a while but I was a devastated cat when I learned I need to be on crutches for three weeks.

No running, no walking, no work, and no training.

As down as I am about it, I'm not going to let it stop me. Walking with crutches is slow, but it's still walking, and there's no reason why I can't swim until I can get back on my feet. Literally. Granted, it's been hard the last couple days to construct a routine that won't aggravate my knee too much, but you know what? My knee hurts if I'm taking a rest or if I'm training, so I might as well find some way to train.



Anybody else having some bumps in the road to their goals?


6 comments:

  1. Goodreads is great. I like going on there to post my reviews and see what my friends are reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to read reviews before I read the book and just look at the overall rating. I find that my mind is inadvertently made up before I crack the cover.

      Delete
  2. Honestly? My leg still hasn't healed to a point where I'm satisfied. I might just got to the doctor again and see what he says.

    Also, mystery pain in my foot is back. All the x-rays say there is nothing wrong, but why does it hurt so much?

    So I totally sympathize with your interrupted journey. It's frustrating, but I know you'll come out of it on the bright side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My coaches have been coming up to me and saying "You look frustrated"... Clearly I wear this sort of stuff on my sleeve more than I realize. But thanks for your support. I know these things take longer than you want them to.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you hit a bump in the road :( We all deal with them (anyone who says they don't is either charmed or lying LOL) but sharing that pain doesn't always make it less. I hope you recover quickly and keep making progress toward your goals.

    ~ Rhonda Parrish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find 15 min of wallowing in self-pity every now and then very satisfying, even if nobody says anything helpful while I'm doing it. But I only think it's healthy so long as you can snap out of it.

      Thanks for your encouragement. :)

      Delete