02 April 2013

A to Z Challenge: B






Movie: Battleship (2012)

Overall Rating: 3.5 / 5

General Impression: Making a movie adaptation from a game can't be easy, but I guess somebody thought "If we can do it with Transformers, we can do it with Battleship." While the original game was one country against another, I thought it was clever to add a Sci Fi element. Other than Liam Neeson, I wasn't a fan of any of the other actors (no, not even Rihanna as an actress) and so I couldn't connect with any of the characters. However, the action scenes were stunning, the hat tip to the old Battleship commercials with the old sonar, and getting the old veterans to fire up the USS Missouri were some worthwhile moments.

What made it cool for me was that Christmas 2011 I had actually been to Hawaii and stood on the decks of the Missouri Battleship.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

16 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this movie yet but I plan on watching it this year on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty straightforward action movie. If that's your cup of tea you'll enjoy it. :3

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a movie buff, but I like reading reviews. That way I know whether I want to spend time watching a particular movie, or skip it altogether.

    Look forward to the rest of your movie review posts!
    Damyanti @Daily(w)rite
    Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2013

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the things I love about AtoZ is visiting blogs and reading things I know nothing about. Thanks for the information - I bet it will come in handy for a quiz sometime!

    Happy AtoZing

    Jemima at Jemima's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen this movie, I'm not really into action :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know this movie, I like sci fi though, and some of those video game adaptations because they are usually a bit overboard. Might have to check this out. Super fun theme and B post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Battleship" isn't the worst adaptation and if you're into action/sci-fi it's quite enjoyable. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I didn't believe it when I first heard they were making a movie from this game so, when it came out I was more than skeptical. I've heard it wasn't quite -that- bad from a few sources, so I'll wait for Netflix and get it then.

    On a similar note, I've also heard they were making a movie from the game "Operation"....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, what? You can't be serious. April Fool's it over!

      Delete
  8. I haven't seen it, and I couldn't believe it when I hear they were making this movie, and that Liam Neeson was going to be in it.

    But I do like action so maybe this wouldn't be the worst way to spend a couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't say the previews ever sold me on seeing this movie...and you giving it a rating of less than 4/5 doesn't make it any likelier! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This movie (for a change) is one that I did see. I'm with you on the rating. It was fine for what it was. Nice special effects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was happy to watch this movie once. But not exactly going on my list for a rewatch.

    ReplyDelete