11 April 2013

A to Z Challenge: J is for Judge Dredd






Movie: Judge Dredd (2012)

Overall Rating: 3 / 5

General Impression: I am disappointed with this movie.

It wasn't a terrible movie per se, but I had expected a little bit more. More back story, more character development, more... more... meaning? I can't fault Karl Urban's performance for the role he was given, but the character felt very RoboCop like. There was no development on his part: Just a seasoned and embittered vet. His rookie, played by Olivia Thirlby, I think should have been pitched as the star. Her character had back story, it made sense, she was cool and could hold her own (I also like how her character wasn't massively sexualized either). Lena Headey who played the villain also did credit to her role and it was an interesting dynamic to have such a ruthless female villain in an action flick.

The action and soundtrack was also pretty rockin' but those parts of awesome were overshadowed by lack of back story, the isolation of the story (I was always waiting for the bigger picture to come into view), and the sheer brutality of how people were treated in the movie. I don't have a weak stomach, but it was quite graphic and felt unnecessarily so. In my opinion, this movie had so much potential and it just didn't fulfill it. I have to say the original adaptation in 1995 with Sylvester Stallone was better.

Though, if you're into action, it's a good shoot 'em up film.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 

1 comment:

  1. Saying the Stallone version was better doesn't make me want to see this one as I thought that one was horrible.

    I know next to nothing about Judge Dredd..., but I knew Stallone wasn't it.

    I might catch it on a Netflix streaming if I get the chance, though.

    ReplyDelete