16 April 2013

A to Z Challenge: N is for New Year's Eve


I feel like a communist with this picture...




Movie: New Year's Eve (2011)

Overall Rating: 3.5 / 5

General Impression: I realize it's not even close to New Year's Eve, but do you know how difficult it is to find a decently interesting movie starting with 'N'? Very difficult, let me assure you.

I can't quite tell you why I gave this movie only a 3.5. It wasn't a terrible movie but it didn't really knock my socks off. I enjoy story formats where you have a half dozen side stories that are all separated by one or two degrees but I found the stories I wanted to know more about were actually given the least amount of time, like Halle Berry's character and her husband. Perhaps because it hit closer to home than the rest.

There were sweet, cute, and endearing moments that I guess you can let yourself be inspired by. I had a fangirl moment when I saw Til Schweiger appear. He doesn't sound quite normal when he's speaking English, however. My most favourite story was Michelle Pfeiffer's character. You don't know anything about her backstory but that didn't seem to matter as her character crossed off all of her New Year's Resolutions. Just in time to make some new ones.

I can sympathize with a fellow list maker and crosser-off-er.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 

3 comments:

  1. I don't think you can ever really expect a 5-Star film when it has an ensemble cast. There's usually too much going on for me. I didn't see this one though. I saw Valentine's Day...

    Writing Through College

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see that movie, but the one I constantly compare to is "He's Just Not That Into You" which I really quite enjoyed. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. We meant to go see it, but it was out of theaters here before we got a chance.
    You are right--it had all the star power.



    Susan Kane @ http://thecontemplativecat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete