03 May 2013

I'd Be Safe

In the same vein as yesterday's post about Farnham Castle Keep, I present another English Heritage site that my mom and I visited last month as part of my 12 Things in 12 Weeks Until Summer Solstice.

Waverly Abbey was just outside of Farnham, but the bus was taken as the car was in the shop for most of the day in Farnham. There's no actual bus stop, you just have to tell the bus driver on that route that you want to stop there. The interesting bit is when you'd like to get back: you stand on the side of the street and you keep your fingers crossed that the bus on the way back stops for you.

He did, naturally, or else I would be telling you a very different story right now.

The Ruins: it was hard to get a good picture because the Abbey was
quite large and spread out.

Waverly House was across the river, so the mom cat was like "It
looks like Downton Abbey! Lets open the gate that says 'no
trespassing' to get a better picture." And people wonder where
I get it from...

In its hey day.

Most intact part of the ruins.

Crazy vaulted ceilings. They had to carry so much weight.


Where they ate.

A lot of monks ate here.
That tree is growing exactly on the corner of the foundation of the
cathedral. I think there's something symbolic about that.

The whole time I was there I kept thinking of the movies and TV series "Highlander" and that if I was an Immortal, I'd totally be safe because this was Holy Ground.

Anybody else know what I'm talking about?

2 comments:

  1. Wow--that is so beautiful. Our history is so young in the New World. We miss having such awe inspiring castles and such. Thanks for sharing this, Capillary! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete