30 July 2013

Taking August Off Pt 2

So yesterday I complained about my job situation, today I'm going to whine about my career. Be warned, it's dismal.

In fact, it is non-existent.Without a job it is dismally non-existent.

Sad cat is sad.
Source
I know the difference between having a job and having a career, and you don't need to be employed by someone else to have a career. But when you've always seen yourself as a nurse working in a hospital or in a clinic it's hard to change your definition of a successful career. I know I have options of pursuing self-employment as a nurse, but I dont' feel like I have the expertise, knowledge, or experience to do that. I also feel like I need about ten to fifteen years more experience before I pursue a masters or PhD in nursing, if that's something that I still want to do in ten or fifteen years.

Last year, around this time, I had a notion that I wanted to join the British Army as nurse to see if that could reignite my love for nursing. I've had some experiences since nursing school that have left me scratching my head wondering, "Do I really want to do this for the next 35 years of my life?" and coming up with the answer of "No" every time. This time last year, I would have been able to join the army no problem, but as a nurse I was waiting for my registration to come through.

When I finally got my Nursing PIN I went straight to the recruiting office. My first recruiter conversations was "Have I considered becoming a chef or a Signaller?" went they told me I needed to be a UK resident for 5 years before I became a Nursing Officer. My second was "You can be Nurse Soldier." The third was "The rules have changed and nobody knew it was happening so you need your British citizenship or a visa of indefinite leave to remain. Even though you're part of the Commonwealth." Neither visa or citizenship is within my grasp for the next five years.

This is the kind of cat I wanted to be.
Source
I only recently got the news about the rule change and being ineligible for service in the army and I'm still in the depths of disappointment. I had my heart set on it because I feel like it was my last chance to make something positive out of my nursing degree and you know, to join the Taekwon-Do team. With my non-existent start date for my job on a stroke rehab unit I just really want to throw the towel in with nursing and do something else. Not that that is totally financially feasible at the moment, but I was also reminded that my biological clock is running out and having a career change at 33 (when it will likely be financially feasible), which according to The Guardian is a typical age for a lot of people to start making the change, will be difficult when I start having a family.

Fantastic.

Yesterday's blog post made me feel better, today's blog post makes me want to drink a lot of red wine. While you and I are talking over this bottle of wine, please share with me the best career or life advice you've ever received. 

- - -

Taking August Off - Part One - Part Three


2 comments:

  1. The best advice I received is don't give up on your dreams. It seems impractical, but over the last few years I've come to realize that it is some of the best advice ever.

    In all honesty, I've also come to realize that, for me, a career isn't the ultimate goal. I have more important things in my life and so long as I make enough to get by then I'm doing just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always been my dream to have a career, in whatever capacity I define it. Trying to find out what that is is the challenge for me. That being said, I don't need to make a fortune, just enough to eat and travel. :)

      Delete