07 August 2013

August Motivation - Looking Like Me

It's not surprising things change in six months or a year, but it is sometimes surprising how and what changes. Life experiences influence your priorities, your lifestyle, and your definition of success. Being unemployed for over a year now, I look back at the Frivolous and Feel Good goals I had set out about a year ago and think to myself, why?

Some of them make sense, like getting a massage ever month (preventative health measures and all). But hair extensions? WTH? Oh yeah. I had this notion about a year and a half ago because I had chopped my hair off because I kept dying my hair and being cruel to it. I also probably had this notion because I had the money to spend, instead of taking my advice of "hair grows" and be patient. Now that my hair is a good length and I can pull it nicely back into a pony tail, I look back on this goal and think "WTF?" I mean, what would I even do with that much hair? The same goes for lash extensions.

I thought eyeliner in the form of a tattoo was a good idea for a while too, particularly when I was working in an office. Again, I felt the peer pressure to conform and add eyeliner and mascara to my beauty routine and a tattoo would just save me a lot of time. It was the same sort of idea with laser hair removal, although, I could justify that better as I was only getting the laser where I was removing the hair anyway (ie. underarms. You were thinking something else, weren't you?)

Goals like a facial, mudwrap, a pedicure every 6 months, or an all day spa day I made most likely out of peer pressure as well. Not having the prospect of affording the above mentioned on a regular basis kind of makes you wonder if all of this is just a status symbol: Like cars are for men, beauty treatments are for women. Some beauty "habits" (I don't know what else you would call this) I enjoy though, pedicure being one of them. Again though, a pedicure every month? I can buy a lot of nail polish and stickers for the price of  a spa pedicure. 

Out of this unemployment, three things have happened I have learned to
1) do some of these beauty habits on my own.
2) re prioritize what's really important.
3)  save for these frivolous things.
4) go without.



But there is a flip side to getting rid of all these Frivolous & Feel Good goals. There is something to be said about pampering yourself, treating yourself, and spending a little extra time on your appearance. People tend to perceive you differently if you look after yourself, mostly like a well adjusted member of society, and people tend to feel confident if they feel they take the time to put effort into their appearance. I mean, who hates being told they look great today or that they're rocking an outfit?

A lot of goals that fell into this category were not necessary, they did make me feel good, if only for a while. The satisfaction or happiness I got from a new hair cut or a laser hair removal treatment was fleeting and the last thing I've learned is that

5) I like looking like me

I can make all the excuses in the world about why I don't wear make up, like laziness or inability to master a skill, but most of the time, it doesn't feel right. I feel like I'm covering up, putting on a mask, and not being me. And it's nice to see there are other people with a similar mindset, even if our social circles will never connect.

- - -


August Motivation ~ Yoga - Running -Tournaments -Cider - Dips, Burgers, BBQ - Make Up -In Pictures -With Music -



1 comment:

  1. I know for me I don't mind going without make-up. It's not a huge deal, but I've also found that I wear make-up more often than I used to. Never much, my whole beauty routine takes 5-10 minutes.

    Reading this post made me think about why I've started wearing make-up more. It's not for my co-workers or anyone else. I've started wearing it for me because when I look in the mirror and see my favourite features highlighted on my face, I feel good. I feel sexy and who cares if no one notices. I noticed. I feel good and it gets me a good start to my day.

    Then again, if I don't have time to put on make-up? Whatever. I'm still beautiful.

    ReplyDelete