01 January 2015

Happy 2015!

Happy New Year! Happy 2015!



January 1st and it's time to turn over a new leaf! Time to commit to a new me! Time to make a list of 10 impossible goals and try to achieve them all.

Or not.

True to form, I haven't planned out this post weeks in advance, nor have I thought about this much more than "I should blog today." All I can say is that I don't know if this is going to be a pro-New Year's post or something a little more "Bah Humbug" of a post. I'll be honest: I'm not planning on turning over a new leaf or committing to being a "new me". I also already have a list of goals that I'm working through via the Day Zero Project.

Naturally, the internet was flooded with old and new posts regarding New Year's Eve and Resolutions and everything related to that. I read them out of interest, not really feeling the pull of "Oh em gee, time is running out! I must do everything on my bucket list in the next 12 months!". Don't get me wrong, I am feeling like I have a limited amount of time seeing that I'm turning 29 this year (...wut), but I feel like because I have a better idea of what I want to accomplish, I'm more comfortable with the time that will pass to achieve my goals.



The only New Year's Resolution I have ever kept is "No donuts for a year". I had made this resolution January 1, 2010.  It was a pretty simple, straightforward goal to make: achievable but yet, really challenging at the same time. Five years on, I still haven't had a donut and it's made a ridiculously good impact on my life since then. And if anyone is considering making a New Year's Resolution, I hope they don't underestimate the power of a small, sustained change.

However, if you're a believer in New Year's Eve parties and New Year's Resolutions that are big and bold, let me say this: I get it. I get why people make New Year's Resolutions, or at least consider them, or make a half-hearted attempt. I get it. I get the symbolism and the importance of finishing the old year in the fashion you mean to carry on. I get the symbolism of starting a new habit or making a commitment to something new when the calender flips to January 1st.

But, like I said, I've already got a list of goals I'm working on. When you've got a list of goals to work on that starts before Jan 1 and will take longer to accomplish than a week or a month, making a resolution specific to New Year's seems irrelevant. From my experience of New Year's Resolutions and participating in Day Zero Project, where I set out 101 goals to accomplish in 1001 Days, I've come to the conclusion that if there's something in life you want to accomplish, you won't wait for January 1, you'll start like, now.


No comments:

Post a Comment