29 January 2015

Setbacks in Training

I skipped out on training on Tuesday evening.

Skipped out probably isn't the best way to describe it. When I say that I feel like someone trying to skip class and not be found out. Saying "I bailed on training" also seems to imply that I would have rather been somewhere else than training.

None of the above statements are true, however.
Source

I opted out of my training session because of injuries that started last week. When I start to train, this pain happen in my left leg, especially when I start to train a lot, especially sparring. The bouncing on my toes seems to aggravate one muscle posteriorly and I can usually push through it before giving it some rest, and then after resting it doesn't seem to be a problem. Perhaps if I had not trained on Friday and given my gimpy leg an extra night off I could have concentrated better, sparred better, and not gotten my toes caught in Ryan's forearm protector. Since then my left metatarsals have been a bit discoloured, swollen, and painful to walk on.

Source
Looking back, I should have rested on Friday, but all I could this was "I don't have time to rest, I AM TRAINING FOR THE DUTCH OPEN."

OK, I know I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself, but this is going to be the biggest and one of the highest regarded competitions I'll ever go to. I'm even going to get a 1.08  Olympic ranking point for just participating!

Source
But then I came across this article on the Juggernaut website. Different sport covered of course, but it was a reflection of one athlete's journey through injuries, not listening to their body, and not assertively managing the niggles. As much as I really didn't want to miss out on a chance to train on Tuesday I made the decision to not train, and will have to look at modifying the kind of training I will be doing for the rest of week. It's unrealistic to expect not to receive any injuries during training in a combat sport and need a couple days rest here and there. It was good to have a reality check, discard the pressures I have put on myself, and remember to listen to my own body.

This set back will not bring me down!

- - -

If I could ask that anyone that stumbles across this to please keep showing support for me and my team to share this link with everyone in your network. We really appreciate the support we've been already shown but we're trying to get 1000 shares before the Dutch Open kicks off.

No comments:

Post a Comment