02 April 2015

A to Z Challenge: B is for Best of the Best





Movie: Best of the Best (1989)

Overall Rating: 4 / 5

General Impression: It was so bad, it was good.

When I started Taekwondo back up after moving to the UK, I was doing a training session with Colin (my coach at the time), Scotty, and Angus. A conversation about old school martial arts movies came up that were the inspiration and staple diet of any practitioner in the 80's and 90's. Best of the Best came up and naturally, the internet came through for me to watch not just the Best of the Best, but all FOUR sequels.

Yes four.

To which Soctty chimed in, "That's like the Rocky triology." and me reminding him that Rocky and the Best of the Best franchise was a bit more than a triology (Sorry Scotty, but you are never living that one down).

I'll admit I have a penchant for cheesy martial arts action movies but seriously, it was so cheesy and with so many predictable storyline elements that I couldn't help but love this movie. On the one hand it was a typical action flick from the 80's where men are central characters and central to the plot, displaying all the typical and acceptable manly behaviours of the time. But on the other hand, it had elements that were atypical of the era with a female black belt and men letting their emotions overwhelm them.

Overall it was not that brilliant of a movie, but it was good entertainment, and if you just needed some background noise, this will do nicely.

5 comments:

  1. so bad it was good ... I feel that way sometimes about movies! Enjoyed this post thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the best kind of movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad the sequels weren't on par. Such potential...

      Delete
  3. Have not seen this one. It sort of scares me!

    ReplyDelete