07 April 2015

A to Z Challenge: F is for Frozen




Movie: Frozen (2013)

Overall Rating: 3.5 / 5

General Impression: Take it or leave it.

As I mentioned yesterday, I watched Epic and Frozen around the same time. Epic surprised me, after all the hype around Frozen I was kind of left thinking there could have been more. Yes, I know it's a Disney movie, and yes, it's a giant leap to female representation in media, and yes, there was still a lot of unfulfilled potential within the representation and with the plot and characters.

I know Epic doesn't pass the Bechdel test, but there was a lot less hype about it's representation than Frozen's. Elsa was probably the more interesting of the two female leads, but since most of the story was focused on Anna trying to reconnect with Elsa, her character felt flat and her motivation was grasping at straws. I don't' have a sister, but I have two brothers I care deeply about. But if I hadn't really interacted with either of them for the better part of 10 years, I cant' say I would throw myself in harm's way as readily.

Maybe it is a sister thing, who knows?

There was a bit of action and adventure, but if we're going to look at it from a feminist angle, if Anna is supposed to be the hero of this story, why did she need the help of two males? You could spin it as "she's royalty and wouldn't have learned cold weather survival skills." OK, sure, but why couldn't the snowman been female? I could go on and pick the movie apart, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't buy the hype of how awesome Frozen is and what great role models Anna and Elsa are.

I guess what really bothers me is why the media had to pitch it as the first female hero in the Disney franchise? How  quickly did everyone forget about Mulan? MULAN! I mean, defied her culture to pass herself off as a man to become a soldier to save her family's honour. She wasn't capable at the start of the movie but BECAME capable. Anna remained as capable (or incapable) for the duration of the movie.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie, but the hype made watching it and appreciating it a disappointing experience. One can only hope that in my lifetime I will see something as equally epic as Mulan was.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds as if Frozen missed tge opportunity to present an authentically strong female point of view. Mulan - I know of it, sounds like a great movie. Will seek it out. Thank you. I enjoy your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everything was wrong with it, but Mulan still ranks as my #1 Disney movie. Ever.

      Delete
  2. I've not seen Frozen yet. Just dropping by from the A to Z and letting you know I've given your blog a shout out from my own post today https://rosieamber.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked Frozen. I may have liked it because I got to see it with my grandchildren. My granddaughter loves the songs in the movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be important to show your granddaughters Mulan as well!

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen Frozen and I'm not going to go out of my way. I've read and seen enough about it, to know the story. I'll spend that time on something I don't know the story to.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to know more about the fairy tale it's supposedly based on.

      Delete
  5. I've been scouting around your blog and Whoa! You definitely DO like lists! Kudos for all your accomplishments (we finished a Triathlon sprint about the same time!!) Thanks for the heads up on your G movie, and I learned something new from you--the Bechdel test! Good to know. Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on your goal! And thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  6. I have to admit that I love Frozen. I have been known to rock out to Let It Go in the shower, hehe.

    I agree that they did miss a few opportunities with the characters of Anna and Elsa in the film. I guess Anna's decision to go after her sister partly came from a sense of guilt and I think she did show some growth over the course of the film. :-)

    Cait @ Click's Clan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everything was wrong with Frozen, I just don't think it deserved the hype.

      Delete
  7. I think it's supposed to be based on the snow queen my Hans Christian Anderson. But only vaguely.

    I love Mulan. I found the original poem it was based upon. It was an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Frozen and I think there are a couple of good lessons in there, but I agree that it's not the powerhouse of movies that it's been made out to be. As far as female Disney heroes...yes, Mulan! Also...Merida from Brave. She gets left out a lot, but she's a very strong female character that has great confidence in herself and her abilities. Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete