09 April 2015

A to Z Challenge: H is for Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters



Movie: Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013)

Overall Rating: 2.5 / 5

General Impression: Some I liked, a lot I didn't.

While not as horrendous as GI Joe: Retaliation, this Hansel & Gretel retelling really failed to deliver. I liked the action, but the weapons were just too unbelievable. Considering the story is supposed to take place in Europe, not having Hansel & Gretel speak with some sort of European accents is a let down. Especially since Gemma Arterton who plays Gretel is English Actress.

Was it just easier to make her speak like an American than to make Jeremy Renner try to speak like an Englishman???

Perhaps.

Although I'm pretty sure that there are enough English actors around that the directors could have picked from.

The costumes were cool, but the humour only reached a sort of internal "lol" level. The music didn't fit... I don't know. Maybe if the retelling had happened in our present day world it would have been more palatable instead the movie served as a lot of back ground noise.

8 comments:

  1. I don't know this movie, but I'm laughing at the things you didn't like because they're exactly the things that I tend to notice. The little stuff can really detract.
    ~Visiting from AtoZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way. I like the comedic timing but thought the CGI could have been better or maybe used since most of the costumes were just that... costumes. It felt too Halloweenie to be taken seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched that the other day (same day I watched GIJoe 2. I was on a bad movie binge and there was booze) and I enjoyed it. It was much more gory than I expected, but I made hubby watch it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you have Netflix I think you have a lot of bad movie binges haha :)

      Delete
  4. I sorta liked this movie for the fact that fameke whatshername dies. Hated her as jean grey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had this one on my Netflix list for a very long time for one reason...Jeremy Renner. Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete