10 April 2015

A to Z Challenge: I is for Iron Man 3



Movie: Iron Man 3 (2013)

Overall Rating: 3.5 / 5

General Impression: I'm trying not to be too hard but... Meh.

When Marvel decided to really start making live action movies of all its comic book characters it took our cinematic world by storm. Fans of X-men, Iron Man, Thor, Daredevil, Electra, etc could see a pretty awesome rendition of their favourite characters and non-fans became fans. Some movies were a bit embarrassing, but some ended up being really amazing. I know this, because I was there when this started happening.

One of these movies was Iron Man with Robert Downey Jr cast as Tony Stark. I can remember there being a lot of skepticism by older Marvel fans and a lot of shoulder shrugging by younger fans who didn't really know RDJ and is troublesome personal life. But somehow it worked and the first Iron Man was brilliant.

As with every sequel, there was a lot questioning and lowering of expectations because a sequel always follows the curse of being shit. Marvel surprised everyone again with something pretty solid. And then first Avengers movie was released and that was hands down spectacular. So I myself raised my expectations for the third movie and that was probably my mistake. I know it's always hard to follow up a great movie with a sequel, never mind contribute to a franchise, but this movie's plot and motivation seemed to be weaker than I expected.

The characters and acting was good, the CGI was good, but the rest just felt grasping at straws a little bit. However, this won't stop me from watching any other movies of the franchise (I mean, like, hello) but I will have to remind myself to keep my expectations in check, even if the Iron Man franchise started out better than awesome.

10 comments:

  1. Saw only bits of this one. The ending with all the iron men was pretty cool, which is about the longest part I saw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was probably all you needed to see, haha! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed all the Iron Man movies, but the first was definitely the best. Avengers was flat down amazing. I can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will that be Iron Man 4 or the next Avengers movies? They're both part of the same mythology aren't they?

      Delete
  3. I watch those films with my sons - so as long as there are fights and action, we're all very happy.

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not the worst action movie, but this 3rd installment wasn't as captivating as the other Iron Man movies. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I do enjoy RDJ as Iron Man, and agree that Avengers was incredible. Haven't read the comics to know how it all compares, but I do enjoy a good superhero movie. Kinda hoping we're phasing past them though b/c I think the market is a bit saturated...
    ~AJ Lauer
    an A-Z Cohost
    @ayjaylauer on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right! Maybe just one more Avengers though?

      Delete
  5. It was okay. Didn't see much of it though.

    ReplyDelete