01 April 2015

A to Z Challenge: A is for After Earth



Movie: After Earth (2013)

Overall Rating: 3.5 / 5

General Impression: Take it or leave it.

After Earth was released in 2013, and I was really intrigued by it. I love Sci-Fi and I have historically enjoyed the movies Will Smith has starred in, especially Will Smith Sci-Fi movies. 

I think along with a lot of other critics viewers, I was a bit leery about Will Smith and his son starring in the same movie. Again. It seemed to work in The Pursuit of Happiness, but then Jaden Smith was still really young. Now he was going to be judged more so on his acting ability, his presence, his appearance, etc etc. 

As I watched the movie I loved the setting of the story, though I found the premise a bit weak. The visual effects were brilliant, but the characters were pretty flat and really not that interesting. The father-son relationship and dynamics didn't really interest me and really added nothing to the story as they could have been any mentor or student thrown together. 

Overall I guess it wasn't a terrible movie, but I feel like a lot of potential was lost, particularly in making the characters interesting. 

13 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this movie. I remember In Pursuit of Happiness which was great. I think my sons may have seen it - I'll ask them. Thank you - interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Pursuit is always worth a rewatch. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. There are several films at the moment where the trailers look really good, but the films don't live up to it. I haven't seen this one.

    Annalisa at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that reason I only go to the cinema once a year only to see my most anticipated movie (the last couple years it's been the The Hobbit movies, now I have to find a new one, haha).

      Delete
  3. I didn't hear much good about it, so decided to pass on it. Maybe if it pops up on Netflix, I'll watch it, but I'm not going to go out of my way.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Netflix is a good choice. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I so wanted to like that movie, but I just couldn't. Still though, Will Smith!

    Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes you wonder what the next Will Smith movie will be? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Always a let down when the characters just aren't quite...there.

    Anna @ herding cats & burning soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Thank you for dropping by :)

      Delete
  6. I've heard the same thing from other reviews, too bad really. I agree it could have been so much more.

    Stopping by from Pam's Unconventional Alliance, best of luck in the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought it was okay, but I was really sad about the creature. I didn't like that part at all.

    ReplyDelete