11 April 2015

A to Z Challenge: J is for Jack the Giant Slayer




Movie: Jack the Giant Slayer (2013)

Overall Rating: 3.5 / 5

General Impression: Enjoyed it!

The last retelling of a fairy tale (Hansel & Gretel) left me sorely disappointed as far as retellings go, but Jack the Giant Slayer entertained me. This movie felt like it took itself a little less seriously while filling out the fable of "Jack and the Giant Beanstalk".

While the story dragged a little here and there, I enjoyed the characters and the actors who played them. The costumes and setting were great and there was some action and adventure mixed in with some romance (a little bit for everyone!). And of course Ewan McGregor.

The only reason I didn't give the movie a 4/5 even though it was an enjoyable movie was that I wouldn't recommend it as a movie everyone needs to see before they die. Not to say that I wouldn't recommend it at all, of course I would, but maybe to people with families or need to babysit a younger niece or nephew.

9 comments:

  1. I am watching a whole new generation of fairy tales with my granddaughter who turned three yesterday!
    Visit me at: Life & Faith in Caneyhead
    I am Ensign B of Tremps' Troops
    with the A to Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all these modern day retellings make the original fairy tales almost unrecognizable. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I am curious to see this one, although I hadn't heard good things about it. I'll try to check it out.

    Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this ... will watch the trailer. It does sound as if all generations would enjoy it. Thank you for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely a family movie (though with a bit of more mature humour here and there).

      Delete
  4. I've seen the trailer and thought it looks like a good film but I've not actually gotten around to seeing it yet. Your review makes it sound like a good film for a Saturday afternoon. :-)

    Cait @ Click's Clan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, would suit that scenario perfectly!

      Delete
  5. Have not seen this yet. But it's on my to watch list along with a few others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to see this in theaters, but ended up passing. One day, I'll check it out, but I'm in no rush.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete