15 April 2015

A to Z Challenge: M is for Machine Gun Preacher



Movie: Machine Gun Preacher (2011)

Overall Rating: 4 / 5

General Impression: Wow.

I loved Gerard Butler and all of his Scottish-ness before he got really famous. And nothing made me squee like a fan girl when I saw him in Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life.

But then... the bad American accents and Rom Coms started happening and I didn't think anything good would ever happen again (minus How to Train Your Dragon, because he was Scottish again). In Machine Gun Preacher Gerard Butler's American accent was actually believable and his rough looks really suited the character.

I didn't know the story behind the movie and I did feel like it was completely made up at a couple points just to get feels out of me. I'm sure there was some movie magic exaggeration, but with what's going on in various parts of Africa at the moment I'm inclined to believe it now.

I know the movie did badly at the box office and received a lot of bad reviews, but I enjoyed watching it and will probably seek out the book it was based on in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment