28 April 2015

A to Z Challenge: X ... There is no reputable movie...



Movie: Vampire Academy (2014)

Overall Rating: 4.5 / 5

General Impression: When is the sequel coming out??? (I don't say that often...)

X-men: Days of Future Past wasn't released to theaters when I started my movie watching for the A to Z Challenge so I had to come up with a contingency plan for the letter X. X is not a reputable letter when it comes to movies so I've decided to fill it with a movie that I watched that stood out. Vampire Academy was it.

And OMG, I loved this movie so much. I didn't know what to expect but it was funny, fantastical, and had vampires. I did some digging on the movie, because I didn't remember any marketing related to it, and found out it was based on a series written by Richelle Mead of the same title. I also found out that the movie was a box office flop... and no sequel will be made.

This was sad news for me because while really outrageously set in "high school" I found the movie to be quirky and funny, have a bit of romance, some pretty decent fight scenes, and the plot was engaging enough to follow. Because there was a cast of characters it was really hard to get to know them all properly, but the movie did a good job of portraying them. I loved Zoey Duetch as Rose, and I think I enjoy Zoey Duetch anyway: there aren't too many actresses with a comedic quirk like her.

Given all of this, I don't understand how this franchise didn't take off and Twilight did. Vampire Academy (from the single movie I saw; I will get to reading the books later) had a much more interesting plot and characters, and portrayed young women in a much stronger and realistic light.

Has anyone read both Vampire Academy and Twilight series? Any thoughts? Any other teenage vampire/urban fantasy recommendations?

2 comments:

  1. I read the Twilight series and enjoyed it. As for a movie with X...aside from XMen, the only other one I can think of is the very old and very cringe-worthy Xanadu with Olivia Newton John. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have GOT to read these books. I've read Twilight. It's a nice, easy read (and less cheesy than the movies). I've heard of Vampire Academy for a while, but now it sounds like I need to get them read so I can watch the movie. (I always have to read the books before I watch the movies based on them.) Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete