06 April 2015

A to Z Challenge: E is for Epic



Movie: Epic (2013)

Overall Rating: 4 / 5

General Impression: Surprisingly good!

I watched Epic around the time I watched Frozen and I wasn't as impressed with Frozen as a lot of other people were. More of that tomorrow.

My point is, I probably thought Epic was better than I thought it would be might have had something to do with my lowered expectations. On the other hand, I found the characters, even the side comic relief characters more interesting and relateable. I found the voice actors suited their roles and there were a lot of quirky, humourous moments throughout.

The soundtrack was good, the animation was good, the pace was good, but the only thing that seemed to let this movie down was that it felt like a Fern Gully rip off. Sure the genders were swapped of the protagonists, but it's essentially the same story but not as deep. Whereas Fern Gully made more of a statement about the environment, Epic was more about an epic battle about having control of the forest.

It was still a good movie, and I'd watch it again, but oh Fern Gully, you can never be replaced.

6 comments:

  1. Again it's not a film I've seen though I know it was on and received good reviews. I'll watch the trailer later thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trailer and movie are worth a watch! :)

      Delete
  2. Epic is a cute movie. I, too, had low expectations about it and it turned out not as bad as I thought, though I adored Frozen more. And yes, Fern Gully is in a league of it's own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched a trailer for this a while ago, but never got around to seeing it. Maybe I'll check it out once it's on DVD or Netflix.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't seen this one, but I'm glad that I know what to expect now.

    ReplyDelete